October 11, 2013

Foodie Friday: Open-face Breakfast Sandwich

As promised here is my favorite breakfast sandwich.

Breakfast Sandwich

Isn’t it beautiful?

Here is what you need to make it:
  • 1/2 a sandwich thin (I used 100% whole wheat)
  • 2 slices of Canadian bacon
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1-2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
  • 1 slice of cheese (I use pepper jack for a little kick)
I start by toasting my sandwich thin, you don’t have to do this, but it helps to prevent it from getting soggy.
While my thin is toasting I wilt up the fresh spinach. This is very easy to do, just heat up your skillet, throw in a handful or 2 of spinach, add a tablespoon or so of water and cover with a lid. It is very important not to forget the water or you risk scorching your spinach. I also like to stir it every minute or so to make sure none of it is burning.

wilting spinach

After your spinach is wilted to your liking remove it to a cutting board, give it a rough chop and set it aside.
Next up brown your Canadian bacon. It usually only takes a minute or so on each side.

Canadian Bacon

While the Canadian bacon is cooking beat together you whole egg and egg whites. I like to add a little Mrs. Dash table blend to my eggs, but feel free to add salt and pepper if you like, or even nothing at all.

Once the Canadian bacon is done top your sandwich thin with it, and start on the eggs. I like to add my eggs to the hot skillet and then stir in the cooked spinach, but as long as your spinach has cooled some you could always add it to the egg mixture before cooking if you like.

I don’t like runny eggs at all so I scramble mine for 3-4 minutes, or until they look done the way I like them. I then add them on top of the Canadian bacon and top with a slice of cheese.

Like I said before, I really like to use pepper jack for this because it gives it a spicy kick, but you can use whatever you like. If you are watching your fat intake you can use low fat cheese, or even omit it, but I find it is a bit blah without it.

To melt the cheese I just pop it into the microwave for 15- 20 seconds, then add a side of fruit and viola my breakfast is ready!!

Breakfast Sandwich 2

This is another one of my weekday, quick and easy recipes. Next week I will be making some fun weekend crepes! Not that you can’t make crepes on the weekdays, I just like to save them for the weekends since they take a little longer to make!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm! This looks really tasty! I love crepes- I'll be sure to check back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love crepes too! I use to be intimidated by them, until I found out how easy they were to make!

      Delete