May 28, 2013

Day 1 of Whole 30

Don’t worry I am not going to give you a day by day play, as I am just not that interesting, but since yesterday was day one I thought I would share what I ate and my first experiences and thoughts on the program.
I woke up feeling good, since I already wrote up a day by day menu plan I knew I would be having a banana *pancake* and a smoothie for breakfast. I’m normally a moody eater, but it was nice to not have to make a decision and just follow my menu. The pancake was simply 2 mashed bananas, 2 eggs, and about 1/3 cup chopped walnuts. The recipe asked for almond butter but I wasn’t able to find any that did not have sugar added to them, and I didn’t feel like making my own. I actually think I liked the walnuts better since it gave it some more texture. I used a bag of frozen organic fruit with almond milk for the smoothie and I wasn’t that impressed with it. It didn’t taste very fruity and more just watered down.

P5250010

Once lunch rolled around I was in a little bit of trouble. I didn’t really plan lunches that well and counted on mainly eating leftovers, and since it was day 1 there were no leftovers yet. Luckily I did buy some mahi mahi that I seasoned, covered in lemon slices and baked. It was okay but I am honestly not a big fish fan so I didn’t love it. Next time I think I will grill it and I am sure I will like it much better. I really should have had a vegetable as side, but I am not a huge raw vegetable fan and didn’t really have the time to roast any so I had some fresh pineapple and strawberries instead. I love fresh pineapple, but I have to be careful not to eat too much or the acid in it make the inside of my mouth raw!

P5260014

A couple hours after lunch I ran into a little problem. The program says to try to not snack, but around 3 I was so hungry so I had a handful of cashews and a few grapes. I’m not really a 3 meals a day kind of person because I don’t normally eat big meals. I seem to get full pretty fast, but then I get hungry again pretty quickly as well. Luckily my little snack got me through till dinner. For dinner we had a simple taco salad. I made the seasoning from various spices in my pantry, added it to my meat, put that on top of some baby spinach, top with guacamole and dinner is served. 

P5260015
Please don’t mind the mess. I started eating it before I took the pic.
After dinner I found myself hungry again, and I knew that there were some Mounds ice cream bars in the freezer in the garage. Luckily I had the will power to grab some apples from the fridge instead. So all in all I feel it was a successful day. I’m not sure I will be able to make it without snacks, and honestly I’m not sure I even want to, but other then that the program feels doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment